Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Slop on a Plate

Picture 1349

This is the slop on a plate that I mentioned in yesterday's menu post. I think that Slop on a Plate is a terrible name, but it has grown on me, so I am going to call it this from here on out!

You will need:

250 grams minced meat (any type you like- this is pork and beef)
250 grams green beans (fresh or frozen are tastiest in this, but canned will work too)
1 onion, sliced thiny
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-5 carrots, diced
1/2 red bell pepper (any color will work though)
1 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used light soy sauce, but dark would work too)
1 tsp sugar (or Splenda)
enough corn starch to thicken the sauce to your desired thickness

Steam your green beans and carrots. I am currently having a love affair with those Ziploc Zip 'n Steam bags. They're magic and wonderful.

Brown your minced meat and drain off any excess fat that you don't want to eat. Toss in the onion and bell pepper and cook for a couple minutes before adding your garlic. Stir it up well to get it nice and mixed and then add in your beans and carrots.

Next add the water, soy sauce, and sweetening agent of your choice. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes. You can add in some corn starch if you want the sauce to be thicker, but if you serve it over rice or potatoes that's not really necessary.

I think this is a pretty versatile recipe. You could make it with beans instead of meat, toss in a can of corn, use broccoli instead of green beans and so on. I highly recommend it. I smashed up some new potatoes to serve it over, but I think it'd be really yummy on top of brown rice too- and it's good on it's own as well.

2 comments:

Katie said...

This sounds (and looks) really good! I may have to add this to a future menu plan!

Thanks for the tilapia recipe, btw!

Wizardress said...

This looks good, in spite of the name heehee.

Hope you are having a fabulous weekend *hugs*

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails