Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Coveted Broccoli Salad Recipe

Broccoli Salad


Apparently this is the most delicious salad on earth because everyone asks me to make it for them. Then they ask me for the recipe and I look at them helplessly because I've made it so many times that I just throw stuff into a bowl without thinking. Well my faithful readers, you are in for a treat because I sat down and figured out what I use for this and I will now share it with you. Don't you feel special?

You will need:
1 good sized head broccoli, cut into florets (the smaller the florets the better)
125 grams (1/4 lb) bacon pieces, fried up and drained
125 grams (1/4 lb) mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup golden raisins (regular ones work too)
1-2 red onions, chopped finely (the ones here are the size of very small eggs, so I use two)
1/2-3/4 cup mayonnaise (start with a half cup and work your way up)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sugar (Splenda works well for this too)
1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)

Toss the broccoli, bacon, mozzarella, sunflower seeds, raisins and red onion into a bowl and mix everything well.

Whisk together 1/2 cup mayo, vinegar, sugar, and liquid smoke. Taste your dressing and see if it suits your tastes. If not, add a little more mayo/vinegar until you get it how you want it. I find if you use too much dressing it makes the salad soggy, and it's better if it still has a little crunch to it. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.

This really tastes best if it's had some time to sit in the fridge for a few hours before you eat it, but I'm usually not that patient.

The picture above has little bits of cauliflower in it, which works well too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My mouth! It's watering out of control! What did you do to me??!!! LOL :-) Thanks for sharing this recipe! It will be made this weekend. From the sound of it, I will be making it every weekend. Which is OK by me!

mub said...

Haha it really is a good salad! I don't usually put cauliflower in it, but I'd bought a HUGE head of it at the market this weekend so I figured I'd better use some of it in there so it wouldn't go bad.

grey said...

You'll have to make this for dinner the first night I come live with you. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails