Sunday, November 08, 2009

Dinner in a Pumpkin

Dinner in a Pumpkin

This is a fairly straightforward recipe. The hardest part is gutting the pumpkin and even that's not really very hard. Squash would be a good substitute if you can't find a suitable pumpkin. The filling is actually pretty good on it's own, but if you go that route you might want to toss in some green beans or broccoli.

1 small to medium pumpkin, cut the lid off and dig out the guts and seeds
1 onion, chopped and sauteed in a little bit of oil
1 lb ground beef or turkey, browned
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms
1 can cream of chicken soup or homemade equivalent (you'd think mushroom would work as a substitute but it doesn't really taste that good, so go for the chicken)
1 can (8 oz) sliced water chestnuts
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Mix all ingredients together (minus the pumpkin because that would just be silly). Put the mixture into the pumpkin shell and replace the lid.

Bake 1 hour and then start checking the pumpkin every few minutes to see if it's done. When you can stick a fork into it with it being nice and soft you'll know it's done.

Dinner in a Pumpkin
I baked my pumpkin in the Turbo with the extension ring because it was too big for my oven

The best way to serve this is to cut the pumpkin in quarters or eighths. Then scoop some of the mixture and put it on top of the pumpkin. Pretend the pumpkin is a little boat and the mix is the cargo.

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

I HATE to admit this to you, but when I read your title: "Dinner in a Pumpkin" is PICTURED people sitting INSIDE a pumpkin eating dinner.

Oh my brain - - - what it WILL do to me.

Nancy C said...

Looks lovely.

Noodle said...

a little boat and cargo... how freakin cute! But it looks so yummy and creative!

Wizardress said...

Looks and sounds good and that Turbo thing looks very cool :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

That looks so festive and beautiful and the ingredients look like a great dish, too! :) Boat and cargo -- you got me there! I laughed right out loud :)

Kristin - The Goat

Amy said...

I have been hearing a lot of this recipe lately. I am guessing it is a sign that I need to try it out? Maybe for dinner tomorrow. If that is what I make, I will let you know how we like it. It does look like the perfect autumn treat, though!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

That looks so good! And interesting, I think the kids would love it.

Danae Hudson said...

That looks absolutely delicious!! I love anything with cream of chicken :-D

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails