Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Easy Meatloaf... in the Microwave?

Meatloaf

Okay, I have to admit I was rather skeptical when my mom told me you could make meatloaf in the microwave. It's not that I didn't believe her that it would work, it's just that I didn't believe her that it would work very well. However, it does work, very well, and it's VERY tasty. If you have access to homemade catsup, use it because it will be even BETTER that way!

Loaf:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup oatmeal
one medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup catsup
1/8 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp horseradish
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Glaze:
1/2 cup catsup
1 Tbsp horseradish
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp prepared mustard


Combine all of the loaf ingredients. Mix together well. For the next part you have a few different options. You can use a microwave safe ring mold and pack the entire amount in there or you can form two loaves by hand and cook them on a glass plate. Or you can get completely wild like I did and separate the mixture in half, make one big loaf and two little loaves to freeze so your husband doesn't starve while you flee the country for a month.

Microwave at 70% (I have a 1000W oven, so this was 700W) for 15 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes. While it's sitting, whisk together the glaze ingredients. After it's sat, spread the glaze over the top and microwave on high for another 3 minutes.

That's it. It's THAT simple! I froze the mini loaves that I made (already cooked) so that Martijn can just take one out to thaw before he goes to work and reheat it when he gets home. My mom said if you don't have horseradish that sweet-hot mustard works really well too!

Check out Tasty Tuesday @ it's new home- Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday @ Blessed with Grace for more yummy recipes.

4 comments:

Noodle said...

your mom is awsome!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Isn't that amazing? I always use regular ketchup, so i am thrilled that you posted the homemade glaze. :)
Thanks for linking it up to Tasty Tuesday.

Sharinskishe said...

This is wonderful! Easy too. Thanks. Have you posted a homemade catsup recipe?

I hope you are having a wonderful time. I am sure you are. Thanks again for this recipe, I will be trying it.

Shari

JeanieE said...

Oh my goooooodness! I totally love meat loaf! Thank you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails