Monday, June 01, 2009

Thrifty Finds!

From about March until the end of May, the Dutch have about seventy-three national holidays. I swear I'm not exaggerating. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but it really would be handy if they could SPREAD THEM OUT a little bit because from now until about Christmas there's nothing!

Since today was the last holiday for a long while, Martijn and I decided to go to a rommelmarkt (also vlooienmarkt- flea market in English). We managed to hit up a good one! I found a magnifying lamp to use when I sew for €4, a new (well, to us, it's actually quite old) double tosti-ijzer (sandwich grill) for €1, and some crummy old rusty chairs with potential for €7.50.

Crummy Looking Chairs

This picture doesn't really do justice to the flaky filthy ick of these chairs! BUT, aren't they cute? I have been looking for some sort of folding chair to put out on our balcony. We've got some plastic chairs out there right now, but they don't fold up so they take up a lot of space. We've already taken a wire brush and some sandpaper to these and purchased paint to pretty them up! Now we just need to wait for the weather to cooperate. It's been raining on and off all afternoon and we don't want to suffer from "paint that never dries" syndrome. Once we get them repainted we can grease up the joints so that you don't have to have muscles of steel to open and close them. I'm quite chuffed with the finds!

5 comments:

Sharinskishe said...

Congrats! Wonderful finds are another one of a girls best friend!

Sonya said...

I agree about the spreading out of the holidays here..lol I get confused by them all and how alot of them are day 1 and day 2..like christmas is the 25th and 26th,two days for easter..We made the mistake of not stocking up on everything on saturday and we ran out of a bunch of important stuff..lol

edward and lilly said...

Very cute chairs, what a great find. I love your blog!

Wizardress said...

I love finding good deals, and girl those chairs do not look bad at all. I can't wait to see what they look like once you work your magic.

Anonymous said...

There chairs are cute, but oh that butterfly! I love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails