Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bacon & Egg Casserole with Tomatoes

We have received approximately 9 billion fresh eggs from Martijn's parents in the recent weeks (a good thing) but I hadn't been feeling particularly inspired on how to use them (a bad thing). I hadn't made a quiche or egg bake for awhile, so this is what I came up with. It goes together really fast and really works as an "anytime of the day" meal. Martijn, who is not a usual tomato lover, said "I really like the tomatoes in this!" I'd call that a success story.

Tomato & Bacon Egg Bake

1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
150 grams (5-6 oz) bacon, cooked up and crumbled
150 grams (5-6 oz) grape tomatoes, sliced (cherry tomatoes will work, just make sure to get some sweet ones!)
1 medium onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
6 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk (koffiemelk for you Netherlandians)
1 tbsp prepared mustard
Glug of olive oil
Pinch of thyme or preferred herbs
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).

Saute the onion and pepper in a little bit of oil until onions are translucent.

Pour a glug of olive oil into the bottom of a baking dish (my baking dish is about 6" X 9"). Tip the dish so that the oil spreads around the bottom of the dish.

Sprinkle the cheese and bacon over the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the slices of tomatoes over the top of the bacon and cheese. Then spoon the onions and peppers over the top of the tomatoes.

Beat the eggs, milk, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper together. Pour the mixture over the goodies in the baking dish.

Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife in the middle comes out clean. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve with a nice piece of toast.

8 comments:

4 Lettre Words said...

As soon as I saw bacon, I knew this was a recipe for me! YUM!!

DarcyLee said...

This sounds really good, fast and easy-which fits my life perfectly right now. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

A "glug of olive oil"? Such technical terms, I don't know if I can handle it! LOL
~huggs~
~Suzy

Alea Milham said...

This sounds fantastic! My oldest 2 (live at home but go to college) don't have to be at school until 11:00, so we have been having breakfast together each day. I am going to make this for them tomorrow morning.

Pam said...

This looks like a great thing for eggs! I'm new here and loved traveling through the Netherlands! My mother's side of the family is from there.

Dragonfly said...

WOW, That looks so good! I'm a new follower, follow me back at http://lifeasanewgenerationfamily.blogspot.com/
OH and my father is from the Netherlands!!! I can;t wait to here more about your culture Shock!

Jenny said...

I love these kinds of casseroles!

Wizardress said...

This looks SO good

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails